Sunday, December 14, 2014

How to make a faerie

Pictures or video to follow

Supplies:
Straight medium heavy floral wire
Floral tape
Something for pants or a skirt:
Can be tissue, flowers, pipe cleaners, leaves, paper, anything you can dream up will work.
(Optional beads, pearls, etc)

Tools:
Wire cutters
Round pliers
Scissors
Hot glue?

1. Cut the wire in half. Set half aside and cut halved wire almost in half. I like to have a slightly longer end for the legs, so I no longer cut them exactly in half.

2. Place a bead on the shorter of the two wires and bend in half. Then twist once. This is tricky, be patient.this is where it will be very frustrating...put the other "half" of the wire next to the twist and then continue the twist once more. The head wire will now have a neck, arms, and a straight wire sticking front to back.

3. Bend that straight wire in half, then twist 3-4 times. Make sure that when you finish twisting it the arms and legs are longed up to be on sides of the body.

4. I don't like sharp points pricking me fingers and therefore I like to bend the hands now. Sometimes I bend a mitten shape and other times I just do a loop.

5. Take the floral tape and wrap in in a figure 8 and all around and down the body. The idea is to stabilize the neck. I've seen some Pinterest ideas that do this with tissue to make dancers. I like the floral tape because it matches.

6. If you are using flowers now is the time to press your doll through the middle of the plastic or silk hole. I've done both. I like the way the plastic center stabilizes the skirt therefore it's my preference to use it if I can.

7. Take the round pliers again and bend the feet.

8. Pick out matching leaves and cut a notch in them (maybe even shape them a little), to make wings. Use a thin strip of floral tape to tie them together and then tie them to the doll.

Voila! Simple fairy with "scope for the imagination" just like Anne (with an e, you'll notice) would be happy with.

Side-
Pipe cleaners and ribbon make excellent clothing for make faeries. The ribbon requires hot glue, the pipe cleaner doesn't and is removable.

No comments:

Post a Comment